Sunday, May 8, 2011

Vanessa Williams & Sam Fine-March Of Dimes Beauty Ball

Vanessa Williams at the 36th Annual March of Dimes Beauty Ball by Celebrity Makeup Artist Sam Fine

I always look to what my client is wearing for inspiration. Vanessa wore a chic black Lanvin gown that inspired me to play up her eyes for a sexy, sultry look!

I always begin by dabbing concealer directly underneath the eye, nearest the lower lashes to highlight and remove any redness/discoloration around the eye
area. Then, I used COVERGIRL Queen Collection Natural Hue Compact Foundation with a sponge applicator to unify varied tones and create a flawless canvas. To add dimension and luminosity, I brushed Queen Collection Natural Hue Mineral Bronzer along the outer perimeter of the forehead and cheeks.

For the eyes, I selected COVERGIRL Smoky ShadowBlast in Onyx Smoke. I began by using the pearl opalescent shade on the browbone, then surrounding the eye in the deep gray shade and tapped gently to blend together for a seamless, smoky effect. I also used COVERGIRL Liquiline Blast Eyeliner in Black Fire to line the inner rim of the eye for added drama. And lastly, I finished this look with a few coats of COVERGIRL LashBlast Fusion Water Resistant Mascara on both upper and lower lashes!

I always begin by lining the mouth with a shade that's close to my clients skin tone. I don't simply outline the mouth; I bring liner into the mouth, towards the center, so liner and lipstick "marry" seamlessly. Afterwards, I use a lipbrush to apply lipstick for an even, satiny finish. For Vanessa, I applied Queen Collection Lasting Lip Pencil in Coffee and finished off the look with Queen Collection Lip Color in Nude Attitude.

Remember, a smoky eye is supposed to be a little messy... It's not a look that has to be perfect. Oftentimes, I'll begin makeup by applying eyeshadow, clean around the eye area with a cotton swab, and then begin to apply concealer and foundation. This is an especially great trick if you're going for a dark, dramatic eye like the one I've applied to Vanessa! Also, I always leave my clients with the two things they'll need to touch-up during the night - Pressed Powder... and of course, lipstick!

No comments:

Post a Comment